Let's review past month and also take a look at the retrospective for the year of 2015.
BTW, also check 2015 summary of our products: Nimble Streamer re-defined, mobile SDK, DVR, MPEG-DASH, HEVC and more.
December metrics calculations are based on 2 billions of views. The stats are collected from 2300+ media servers (Nimble Streamer and Wowza). MPEG-DASH keeps growing, it has 12M+ views. It's now equal to Microsoft SmoothStreaming. HLS has increased to 74% now.
|The State of Streaming Protocols December, 2015|
|The State of Streaming Protocols - November 2015.|
|The State of Streaming Protocols December, 2014|
- The HLS share was pretty constant through the year balancing around 70% between 69% and 74%.
- A significant change is the growth of MPEG-DASH which now has 12+ millions of views approaching to 1% share from just a few hundred views (literally 0% share) last year. Nimble Streamer DASH capabilities were transformed into a full-scale feature set so many of our customers made their bet on this technology.
- MPEG-DASH left HDS behind now competing with SmoothStreaming.
- Adding RTSP playback support in Nimble Streamer, along with its popularity growth, gave an increase for RTSP share as well.
- RTMP was continuously going down from 22% to 13%.
This year again we saw the continuous evolution of streaming protocols towards HTTP-based formats. We expect MPEG-DASH to gain more popularity within 2016.
We'll keep analyzing protocols to see the dynamics. Check our updates at Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn.